Monday, March 30, 2015

March 30 Minutes in the Life Remington, Virginia Photographer


It's that time again for our 30 minutes in the life circle.  This month I have not been sure what I was going to post most of the month. We haven't gone anywhere too exciting at all. Then I think about it and really what this group was about for me was capturing 30 minutes of my every day. 30 minutes that I want to remember and cherish.

So, the other day we were sitting at the dinner table and I was saying how I needed to still get my photo for the day. My oldest son said he would be cool with getting his photo taken. First, I think I should explain... He is 13, and well this was rare that he was cool with getting his photo taken. I didn't really have to ask him or even say please. He volunteered! Happy Face quickly came on this mama.   So after dinner we went out side and I thought he was going to just want me to get a quick snap shot.  We decided to go over to the fields behind our subdivision. At first he was awkward and grumpy. He never wants to smile for photos. Which I am completely ok with.  He did that tons for me when he was little and always had a camera in his face. He saw a camera and he immediately flashed a smile. Now... Not so much.   So I try to capture him as he is now. A moody teenager. I'm sure there are plenty of mothers who can relate to this.  At least I hope there are.   So here we are out in this field in some super sweet golden hour light.  So he stands there almost pouting.  This is what I get....


He looks tense... Awkward and like he definitely doesn't want to do this. So why did he volunteer for this? I ask myself this not sure whether to just go back to the house.  Instead we just start talking and picking on one another. He of course doesn't want me to capture him laughing so he covers his face. So I sneak a shot as I can.
 This hair... He is growing his hair out right now. It's awkward and fuzzy, but it's a process. It's unique for him and that is all that matters.  We recently started dying it black.  Some people think I am a bad mom for letting him do this, but you know what it's hair. It can be cut, It grows back and it lets him express himself.  I remember when I was his age and how my mom really tried hard to allow us to be who we wanted to be. She didn't sweat the little stuff like that, and I proudly want to give those same things to my kids.



So he wants to be serious, no smiles.  So that's what we get... No smiles.

So he starts walking down the path, and says come with me Mom. Of course I follow.  How can it be that this is my baby?  He looks like an adult walking in front of me. No more running as fast as he can jumping in the mud.


So we walk along the trails, I'm getting a shot here and there of the dead flowers or leaves left from the year before. 



We get to this big hill. He loves to climb this hill. Me, not so much, it's really steep. I didn't get a photo of the hill. I should have though.  I'm in my work dress and heels, but I go for it and follow him up this steep, muddy, hill to make him happy. We laugh along the way that I am going to fall and roll down to the bottom. (I don't though thank goodness.) So we get to the top and the light is so beautiful on this evening. He says "This is it, Mom. This is where we need to be. The light is the best here." He says he's not posing, and honestly, I don't want him too. I didn't really care if we took one photo. It was just so nice to be here on the top of this hill with just him talking.  We talked about school, family issues, and just life.  It was the best 30 minutes I could have asked for.   So these photos may not tell a story that most will see and understand. They are not perfect photos. They are not posed. For me though, they tell a story of my moody teenager who wanted to spend extra time with me and wanted me to see this beautiful spot with him.  I will cherish this 30 minutes. 






Next up be sure to check out, Amanda Voelker Photography. She is an incredibly inspiring photographer, in Seattle Washington. I am happy to be in a few groups with her and her 2 little ones are just adorable. She always has something fun and beautiful to share. Click here to see her 30 minutes this month.

6 comments:

  1. Oh Karen, I'm so happy your son went on a walk with you and let you take his photo. I know how much this meant to you :) The photos are absolutely beautiful -- that light and his natural expressions!! I hope you frame one of them to look at often!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed the pictures and the read so so so much. I only have a grumpy 9 year old, but can relate so well. These times are so so precious and you captured them perfectly. I really like the yummy light and his not posed face. It looks so sweet and so in between stages. You can already imagine him being older, but can still see the child in hims s well. So so good! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my heart knows exactly where you coming from. I love all of these…and one day he will too. Absolutely beautiful Karen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen, these are fabulous!! How precious that time was that you spent with your son and you captured it so beautifully. I love his natural expressions because that's real, right?! We aren't always going to get those beautiful smiles that we love to see so much....it's important to remember all those in between stages as well and you captured them beautifully, my friend!

    I'm starting to see that "moody teen" emerge in my son, who is now only 11.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you respect the challenging age he's in and captured him as is. These are really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Having an 18 year old son I can completely relate to this and feel so moved by your wonderful images. His hair is great and I love that you let him decide. And these pictures are just so full of love, respect and awe-inspiring skill.

    ReplyDelete